1. Age doesn’t equal wisdom. But forgiveness, insight, courage, and kindness do.
2. Death is a thief. It steals who you love and leaves you aching for what used to be.
3. Time does not heal all wounds. It only allows you to become more comfortable with your loss. You still cry because you miss who death stole, just not as often.
4. The human heart is gargantuan. Just when you think you could never love another pet or find a way to love your husband more, you do. I don’t know how you do. You just do.
5. It is possible to once again like something that you once hated. Like, snow. I grew up with snow and grew to hate it. After years of living in perpetual sunshine, I not only miss the snow, I adore it.
6. Double rainbows mean something. I’ve seen them only on significant days in my life. On my wedding day. During a visit to the American Cemetery in Normandy, France. And on October 23, 2013, what would have been my mother’s 60th birthday.
7. Friendships end when they should, begin when they can, and evolve as they’re needed.
8. The Universe has your back. Whatever you believe controls the moon and the sun is there cheering you on, wanting you to yell, “Woo hoo!” every chance you get.
9. Be yourself. If you don’t know who that is, that’s okay. Nobody does. That is why we’re here. To figure it out.
10. Power and wealth do not make someone interesting. Loss and resiliency and fortitude do.
11. Having wanderlust is divine, but loving your home life is better.
12. Kindness is underrated. Take a minute or an hour or laughter and a bottle of wine to make someone feel honored. That’s what makes the world go ’round.
13. A year is 365 days but goes by like a minute. Choose wisely. Live lightly. Love fully.
Here’s to another smart, sexy, spiritual year!